February 25, 2007 Monthly Meeting

All:

We had another lively meeting last Sunday, with 13 in attendance. We welcome Larry, who was attracted to our meeting from the web site. Hope you enjoyed the meeting and come back again, Larry!

Derek had sent out a mass mailing to a variety of potential Mars speakers, inviting them to our track at the ISDC. A number have already responded positively. It looks like we have a good start at getting a number of quality Mars speakers for our track.

In another wrinkle, National NSS is attracting so many major, plenary caliber speakers that the plenary sessions may be expanded. This is contracting the number of track slots excessively – the number of track slots is now well under 20, a number that is way too low. This will be addressed and some better balance is expected.

Curtis showed his proposed advertising posters. These look very good, and we’ll acquire them in both 8X11 and 11X17 sizes to post in college campuses, etc.

Pam announced that her expansive run of Mars memorabilia is complete. We’ll have the best Mars knick-knack table ever! Kudos to Pam for her efforts and generosity for donating them.

After much discussion regarding bumper stickers, it was decided to authorize Mark to expend up to $150 of Mars Society funds to go and order a set of two-color and full color bumper stickers for sale at the convention.

Discussions began on our table displays. We’ll need sign-up and information sheets for the Mars Society, and a banner. Roger took the action item to check into getting these from national.

We then discussed T-shirts. While we sold a large number of T-shirts at the 9th Mars Society, we were without competition, selling the only ‘convention’ T-shirt. This will not be the case at the NSS ISDC, and caution was agreed on. We will probably make a number of
Mars Society/NSS ISDC themed T-shirts – Mark will think on potential designs.

Overall, our planning for the ISDC is coming along well.

On a sadder note, this was Greg’s Last meeting with us, with him moving to Portland in March. We thank Greg for his efforts in keeping the Mars flame alive these past years, and will miss his participation.

**ACTION ITEMS **
>Dan will put a blurb / link to the NSS ISDC on the Mars Society national home page
>Roger will attend the NSS planning meeting at the convention hotel with Brent from national NSS in order to assess the physical layout
>Roger will contact national Mars Society to get info sheet, membership sign-up, and banner design
>Mark will spend up to $150 to procure bumper stickers
>Mark will come up with some T-shirt ideas for the next meeting
>Kurt will forward to Mark some pictures of the MDRS / FMARS for above
>Kurt will attend the National NSS planning telecom while Derek and April are off on vacation….
See you all March 25th!

November Meeting

This year the group has decided to hold the meeting in November. The meeting will be held on Sunday, November 26, 2006 at 6:30PM at Spaghetti Warehouse at Central Expressway and 15th Street in Plano. This is the weekend after Thanksgiving.

“On to Mars 3″

Call for papers from 2005 and 2006 Mars Society Conventions
Sept. 3, 2006
for further infomation about the Mars Society, visit our website at www.marssociety.org

The Mars Society members have presented close to 200 papers at the two most recent Mars Society Conventions in 2005 and 2006. We are planning to proceed to press on another book in the “On to Mars” series, and we want to encourage all who made presentations at the last two Conventions to submit a full paper for this planned publication.

Authors who are preparing their 2005 or 2006 Mars Convention paper for publication should follow the instructions for preparing their papers in the pdf
2006 Authors instructions here. An assignment of publishing rights to The Mars Society is included in the instructions and must be signed and mailed in.

Papers must be received by 31 October, 2006 to be considered for the planned “On to Mars 3” publication. Questions or clarifications can be addressed to crossmanf@earthlink.net.

August 2006 Meeting Minutes

The Dallas Mars Society met as scheduled on Aug 27 at 6:30 at the Plano Spaghetti Warehouse.  Attendance was 14 (counting 3 children), which is a new high!   This was the first meeting after the 9th Annual Mars Society Convention in Washington D.C., and there was much to discuss both with regards to the past Mars Society Conference and the future ISDC Conference in May 2007. 

 

April and Derek jointly chaired the meeting with a thoroughly prepared agenda, leading to a highly productive and organized meeting.  In quick summary, the highlights were:

 

>Call to order at 6:40

 

>nominated interim officers.   These officers will serve until more formal elections can be held at a later date, probably around New Year’s.  These officers will help us organize our tasks for the upcoming ISDC conference.

                -President:             Derek Andreas

                -Vice President     April Andreas

                -Secretary:             Kurt Chankaya

                -Treasurer              Roger Carr

 

>Discussion of the 9th Mars Conference

                -Summary of main speakers

                -Both Jim Heiser’s and Kurt Chankaya’s talks went well

>>The T-shirt’s were a SMASH!  Virtually all of the T-shirts sold the first day, at the full $20 price.  Our T-shirts were the only ones being sold. It was real neat to see conference attendees walking about wearing our club’s design!  Kudos to Mark for making the design, and Derek / April for making the shirts.

                >This means we now have money, a few hundred dollars.  This will be set aside for potential expenses during the ISDC.  April and Roger will look into setting up a separate bank account.

                >** Just to make sure everyone heard, the NSS and Mars Society will NOT be holding a joint conference at the ISDC this Spring.  Agreement on this failed to be reached – we are back to doing a ‘just’ a separate Mars track.

 

>High Performance Leadership Project

                April will use preparing for the ISDC as her toastmaster’s project at her job.   There are many experienced folks there who can help and mentor us through the ISDC conference process.  April proposed a ‘vision statement’ for our group, which stressed mutual respect and teamwork will be the themes of our participation with other space advocacy groups at ISDC. 

 

>ISDC planning meeting

                Derek talked about the ISDC planning meeting he was in with the NSS.  There was a map of the hotel layout and tracks, greater definition of the exact tasks and schedule. And overall a great more definition of what is ahead of us.   Besides the tracks, we have a Mars Society table to set up and man, a luncheon and dinner to plan, and alternative activities for alternate nights. 

                We brainstormed ideas for ‘big name’ speakers that national should invite, and also lesser names that would make good tract speakers. 

                Abstracts relating to ‘Mars and Beyond’ will be funneled our way by the NSS, and we will evaluate and help schedule these, as well as trying to get interesting talks and themes for our track. 

 

>Key Projects and Volunteers

                To help this all happen, Derek proposed a list of projects that were needed.  Volunteers were assigned to most tasks.  These individuals will be responsible for accountable progress on these projects.

 

                -track coordinator (coordinates track speakers, themes, dinners etc) Derek and Kurt

                                (a suggestion was made to create a separate task for the lunch and dinner)

                -Track overseer (makes sure the track runs smoothly) Roger

                -Reviewing Abstracts Jim H, Mimi, Greg, Curtis

                -Evaluation forms (forms for reviewing the tracks, conference etc) Mimi, Kurt

                -Mars Society nbsp Derek, Roger

                -Mars Society Information Track / Lunch (TBD)

                -Pizza Night Engineer  (alternate activities, not the ‘main banquet’) (TBD)

                -Dallas Mars Society Product Line   (T-shirts, books, jewelry, etc) Mark, Kurt

-Space Passport April

 

Overall, we had a well organized and productive meeting, and a good start to our planning for the ISDC.  Details will continue to evolve as we get further into the planning. If you have any ideas, don’t hold back..post to the group!

The Mars Society blitzes the Hill

by Chris Carberry
Monday, August 21, 2006

There are moments in space advocacy that stand out, and the Great 2006 Mars Blitz certainly falls into that category. It was a tremendous success. On Thursday afternoon, August 3, 2006, the Mars Society sent over 100 members to Capitol Hill to show support for the Vision for Space Exploration and to make sure Mars remains a key part of that plan. In just over three hours, we spoke to over 100 congressional offices. This was truly a “blitz.”

Full story

Agenda For August 27, 2006

  • Officer Volunteers
    • President
    • Vice President
    • Secretary
      • Keep meeting minutes
      • Organize hard copies of major handouts and e-mails
    • Treasurer
      • Keep paper trail of club money
      • Possibly apply for 501(c)3 status with bank account (www.501c3.org)
    • Formal elections later this year
  • Report on Conference
    • Report on T-shirt Money
    • Accolades for Mark
  • High Performance Leadership Project
    • Vision for the Conference
    • Core Values
  • Brief Overview of ISDC 2007
  • Speaker and Topic Brainstorming, Wish List
  • Key Projects Overview
    • Details of each project
      • Track coordinator
      • Track overseer
      • Reviewing abstracts
      • Evaluation forms
      • Mars Society information table
      • Mars Society information track/lunch
      • Pizza night engineer
      • Dallas Mars Society product line
      • Space passport
    • Call for volunteers
  • Call for comments, close of meeting